a slow start in Omaha


Well, I’m in Omaha.

 It’s a bit  underwhelming compared to Seattle. Not just the city, but the experience of arriving at a near empty accommodation block last night with no one around, no instructions, finally finding a key, finding my room, then going searching for basics like toilet paper (found), and a kettle (none). There’s only a few of us who were arriving last night, as we’re heading out on retreat for eight days this afternoon. I’m sure it will get better from here on in. Seattle though was just wonderful. Not just the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest, as they call it, but the warmth of hospitality of my friends which made this seem so rather bleak by comparison. 

But this did two things for me. Firstly it gave me an insight that this is just a millionth of what any new migrant, let alone refugee must experience in coming to a new place where you know no one and nothing. At last I had the language to ask directions and the money to go buy some takeaway. 

And secondly, as isolation often does, though usually intentionally chosen by going on a silent retreat, it draws me to God in prayer, reminding me that in the end it is only me and Jesus, and that all other relationships, however good, are fleeting by comparison. 

As I write this though in the light of a new day I can hear people arriving down the hallway. I'd better go and welcome them and show them where to get the toilet paper.....

Comments

  1. Is it possible for you to add a RSS feed option to your blog? So that new posts can arrive in the email in-box and not get missed. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THis is a first for me, have never read a blog before. Just caught up on the last three - it's great way to see how you are going and cathc up, so thanks. Sounded like a great start in Seattle with lots of enjoyment (company and trecking) and lessons learned too - useful to bring nack to us here. Perhaps the humbling start to Nebraska was to bring you back to reality before you start studying? Everything happens for a reason doesn't it? I also loved the toilet paper joke, your blog is really interesting but fun too. Please keep it up when you get time and thanks for sharing. Regards, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always such insight and depth. Thanks Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoying your journey thanks for sharing!
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoying your journey thanks for sharing!
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Exercises

Rhythm

Brian Wilson