Living on college campus

Things have improved a whole lot since I arrived at an empty building two weeks ago. My building, McGloin Hall is now full of people doing summer programs, and my group all live on the second and third floors. There's a chapel on the top floor.

It's only a few hundred meters one way to the classrooms, and a few hundred meters the other way to the dining hall. I've got a 14 meals a week meal pass, so I have cereal at home for breakfast and then lunches and dinners in the dining hall. The food is pretty good.


Each 'room' is a suite with two bedrooms, a shared bathroom and lounge. This is good for two people to share, but the freshmen (first years) who usually live here during college term have four to a suite, two to a room, which would be very cosy, to say the least. I think the beds can be double bunked, which I remember being fun when I was 11 years old and sleeping at a friend's house for one night. It might be less fun doing it as an adult for a whole year.

I've fluked a great roommate, a really nice guy called Kevin. We've clicked really well, or, if he's sick of me yet he hasn't told me. He's got a psychology background and worked in business for the past 10 years but has decided to change fields entirely to look at working in spirituality and spiritual direction. The Catholic church is bigger and more professional here in the US than in Australia, and there are more lay people in paid professional roles, and hence many lay people doing courses such as this.

Comments

  1. Thanks Jim, great to catch up on what is happening over there. Sounds like a it's real adventure in so many ways but you really seem to be enjoying every part of it, which is great. Thanks for all the updates and God Bless - regards Steve S.
    PS We fly out this Fri but I have your blog link on my phone, so will continue to catch up on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, thanks for reading, and enjoy your big journey. I hope it's great family time for you all. Jim

      Delete
  2. I am enjoying the blog, some people have asked me how to use the blog and reply to it, so I will put instructions for it in the bulletin again this weekend. People are really enjoying what is published in the parish bulletin also so if you can keep the emails up also that would be great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Exercises

Rhythm

Brian Wilson