Brian Wilson


Brian Wilson was the brains behind The Beach Boys, who seem to feature in the soundtrack of most people's teenage years. Tonight I went to hear him in concert in Omaha as he played for the 50th anniversary of the Pet Sounds album, a record so groundbreaking that Paul McCartney cites it as inspiration for Sergeant Peppers.

I wouldn't have known the concert was on except that The Beach Boys are my room mate Kevin's favourite band. I fell in love with Brian Wilson when I watched the biopic Love and Mercy last year.

Wow. What  perfect concert. It was outdoors at sunset, but in a small amphitheater rather than a stadium. As befitting a concert by a 74 year old and attended by hippies of various generations it was over by 9pm so not a long late night (its a school night!) and close enough to walk the couple of miles home.

Brian and his 10 piece band played the whole Pet Sounds album including the sublime God Only Knows plus all of the upbeat favourites like Good Vibrations, California Girls, Help Me Rhonda and Barbara Ann. The harmonies were outstanding, and the instrumentation incredible, with all the original instrumentation including french horn and theremin.

Brian himself sometimes lost his way in the songs, with the rest of the band carrying him. Hardly surprising after 50 years, lots of LSD and breakdowns. But he could have just sat in a lounge chair and watched and it would still have been great to see and hear him. His compositions and arrangements stretched the possibilities of pop music. After all, we don't remember Mozart for being a great pianist. It's writing the songs that counts.

The encore was lots of upbeat crowd favourites, but finished with the melancholy Love and Mercy, which was rather apt for the divided and hurting nation which the US is right now.  

Comments

  1. Nice way to spend a school night. Great stuff. Concerts away from home have some sort of resonating memory in the future. Glad you experienced one tonight.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I enjoyed it as an event in a new city more than as a musical event - I probably wouldn't have thought to go if it was in Sydney

      Delete
  2. Sounds like your kind of setting Jim. I love to hear of people keeping on doing what they love. Not sure if I was ever on board with the "two girls for every boy" type recurring themes of the Beach Boys, but their success was undeniable! Glad you got a night out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rachel you got me there - I sometimes challenge people about the lyrics of the songs they listen and am concerned when they say "oh, I don't listen to the words, I just like the music" because I think lyrics do get into your subconscious.
      As it turns out, the Beach Boys didn't actually sing "Surf City" (with its two girls for every boy lyric) but you're right about the general recreational-sexuality tone. In fact I asked Kevin while they California Girls were playing what the feminist authors we're reading would say to that song. He sprang to the Beach Boys' defence saying that it's about the beauty and dignity of all women, but I'm not quite convinced. It's good to be on the lookout for these things though. thanks!

      Delete
    2. No criticism intended Jim! Ha - that angle on California Girls is the most positive and good-seeking perspective possible - Kevin must see lots of nice things in people everywhere! Pippa's been singing along to Adele lately and it forced me to choose other music for a while - "I'm so MAD I'm getting old, it makes me reckless" is probably not too good for the subconscious of a 7 yr old, especially when the singer herself is only 25! Good song though! Dave and I actually told the kids recently about how we love the way you are always really happy to have a birthday and get older, being proud of who you are and where you're at! All the best for the last days.

      Delete
  3. Oh oh, this one was for me. Very guilty of liking a tune and having no idea of the lyrics. One of my favourite all time riffs is ACDC's Hell's Bells, which apart from the obvious title, I had no idea of content. What a shake-up when I actually listened to it :o

    It's still on my play lists, but now I listen to the 40sec musical intro and then skip. Glad you enjoyed the Wilson experience, it sounds very special. BTW, I am pretty sure Brian wrote Surf City for Jan and Dean or was at least involved in some way??

    I also loved your Mozart line, how very true. On a sideways note from that, I think what we generate is more important than what we do. Brian created a special event greater than his actual performance. As you well know, I am the worlds worst singer/guitarist - very basic and mistakes galore, but it is so wonderful to get so many people saying how much they enjoyed the music at mass. Even with our "limited" talents, we can still do something very special. That I can help add something to our celebrations is very gratifing and has kept me in our Kincumber music ministry for 20 odd years.Thanks for reminding me of this as we sometimes lose our reasons for doing things. Can't wait to play again next weekend : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Exercises

Rhythm