Fourth of July and boredom

Today is American Independence Day, the 240th anniversary of the original 13 US colonies declaring
their independence from Britain. This is a piece of our Australian history too, as the US stopped receiving convicts from Britain, and after awhile of leaving prisoners in crowded ships moored in the Thames, Britain decided to send them elsewhere: Australia.

So last night we went down to the baseball stadium to watch the celebratory fireworks. Unlike New Years Eve in Sydney where you need to camp out all day, we just walked down, found some grass and sat. I've never been so close to fireworks before (not since "Cracker Night" was discontinued in the 80's). Not only did we get a great view, we could feel each explosion resonating in our chest cavities. It was loud!

By contrast we had a very quiet night a couple of nights ago. We had a dinner for the whole group, then everyone retreated back to their rooms to work on essays (this is the final week of first semester and everything is due). I was on top of my work and had nothing I needed to do, so I went for a walk around campus. It was dead quiet. No one around, nothing going on. And nothing I needed to do. I sat down and realised that I was bored. It took me a while to realise what I was feeling, because I never get bored at home. I'm always doing something or preparing for the next thing. And here, there was nothing that needed doing. It was an odd feeling, but as I pushed through the awkwardness I realised how wonderful it was to have this quiet and empty time and space to just be myself and be by myself. A most unusual experience - and I suspect lots of adult don't get time to be bored, but rather good for taking stock of my soul and going to God in prayer.


Comments

  1. I understand your boredom feeling. I would get this while driving home from Sydney. Not as often as I should I would have a conversation with God about what he wants me to do and what I'm thinking about. Other times I would call you or other friends. It takes discipline to use this time for good.
    Cheers mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good points raised. Like Dom, I use my driving time, 2 x 45mins, as my quiet time with the Lord. I am still concentrating on driving, but at least not interacting with anyone else, so it is nice to catch up with the Lord - though yes I am also guilty of ringing Mum or friends when these calls are overdue!! Thanks for the great insight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Exercises

Rhythm

Brian Wilson